Following the sudden death on Friday of Ibrahim Attahiru, who was the Chief of Army Staff, President Muhammadu Buhari has appointed Major General Farouk Yahaya as the new Chief of Army Staff.
Brigadier-General Onyema Nwachukwu, Acting Director, Defence Information, announced this in a statement on Thursday.
Attahiru and 10 other military officers died in a military plane crash that occurred in Kaduna.
They were on their way to Zaria for the passing-out-parade of regular recruits slated for the next day.
The officers, including three Brigadier Generals, have since been buried at the National Military Cemetery in Abuja.
Here are a few things to know about the new army boss:
1. Before his appointment, he was the Theatre Commander of the counter-terrorism military outfit in the North-East which is code-named operation Hadin Kai.
2. Yahaya was the former General Officer Commanding 1 Division of the Nigerian Army, Kaduna.
3. He is a a member of Regular Course 35.
4. He is from Zamfara State.
5. He is the 22nd Chief of Army Staff.
6. He has also held the position of Military Secretary (Army).
7. He was also Commander of 4 Brigade Headquarters of the Nigerian Army in Benin, Edo State.